Thursday, October 07, 2010

Peace and Quiet

Galilee Centre, Arnprior Ontario
Casa del Sol Ghost Ranch New Mexico

The United Church Observer, our denominational magazine contains lots of well-written, often provocative articles on issues of faith and justice. Sometimes I read it cover to cover. Other times I'm a tad disappointed, then discover a gem that makes the whole issue worthwhile. I know, kinda like sermons. Oh yes, the cartoon Inherit the Mirth is fun just about every time.

There are a number of pieces which are really worthwhile in the October issue, others that cause me to scratch my head. And we are still celebrating Thanksgiving this year aren't we? Why not preface the reviews of no less than six cook books with something about gratitude to God for local produce?

I appreciated Trisha Elliott's reflection about going on a silent retreat called Peace and Quiet. She writes as a young mother and someone with a life that is far too hectic:"My life was a runway of noise, and not just audible noise, but life's white noise as well. The busyness. The clutter. The demands. The juggling." Sound familiar? She heads away to a Roman Catholic retreat in Ontario called the Galilee Centre. We United Church folk don't do silence nearly as well as the Catholics. Unfortunately the article isn't on the website. As someone who has experienced the benefit of retreats I wish this article was closer to the beginning of the issue rather than at the end. The second photo above is a retreat house I have visited several times now in the wilds of New Mexico.

How are you with quiet? It spooks a lot of people. Do you ever feel you need more one-on-one time with God? Have you been on a silent retreat, or do you want to?

7 comments:

Lynnof60 said...

People don't have to go far for a 'retreat' in our area. The Villa St. Joseph in Cobourg is a wonderful retreat as well as having interesting programs. They have a 'Day of Stillness' every month and if you go into their website you will see the other programs that they offer. www.villastjoseph.ca.
I have been there a couple of times and it is a wonderful spot.
I don't do stillness well. Something I need to work on for sure.

IanD said...

Heading into cottage country next weekend with the boys, and part of the joy IS the peace and quiet. Long walks, Robert Frost, Walt Whitman and a case of the cold stuff.

Sigh ... can't wait.

Nancy said...

I love silence. When my parents come to visit, they complain that our radio is not in the kitchen to give us "news"/"noise". I listen to noise all day long, so when I go home I love the quiet of the house!! I love being alone in the house and listening to nothing! (well, maybe the occassional train:)) I also love the quiet of the nights at the cottage, when there is no city noise, only the sounds of nature!

Not Alone said...

I have no trouble with quiet, perhaps even too comfortable with it. I agree with Lynn that stillness is quite the challenge.

Laura said...

I ended up at a silent retreat last winter quite by accident....we knew we were retreating but I missed the memo on the silence part. It was at The Villa, which Lynnof60 speaks of,and it was WONDERFUL. The simplicty and goodness of the food, surroundings and schedule (or lack of) were truly restful and refeshing. I highly recommend it!

David Mundy said...

Again, this is why I appreciate comments so much. They extend and augment my musings in ways that I find really helpful.

Thanks Lynn and Laura for the "shout out" (whisper out?) for Villa St. Joseph, an oasis of stillness close at hand. Thanks too, Lynn for that reminder that "outies" or extroverts respond to silence and stillness differently than "innies" or introverts, but it can happen.

Nancy, your point about creating tranquility in the midst of the everyday is important -- we can't always get away but that doesn't mean we can't be reflective.

Not Alone, your distinction between quiet and stillness is subtle but absolutely true. In the roons of a Cistercian retreat house I used to go to there was a gentle reminder that initially the quiet might be a little crazy-making, but that could be part of moving toward stillness.

Ian, I double-dare you to say to your buds that you are going off for a couple of hours to be in touch with your God! I would love to be there to see the looks on their faces.

Deborah Laforet said...

I am sitting in my kitchen after 11pm, doing some catch-up on this blog. It is very quiet....I'm sure even our recently discovered mice don't know I'm here. I love the silence. I appreciate it when I have it.