Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Beads of Hope


A few years ago the United Church challenged its membership to raise a million dollars to support AIDS projects in Africa. The Beads of Hope campaign brought in more than two million between 2002 and 2004 and many of us wore the beaded pins made by women in different places in Africa. http://beadsofhopeafrica.com/

As we come to World AIDS Day once again its important to consider how the AIDS epidemic is being addressed today. I listened to Stephen Lewis on Monday as he reminded us that two million people died in Africa last year from AIDS and AIDS related illnesses. Twenty three million are living with HIV/AIDS. There are millions of AIDS orphans. Grim numbers. The interviewer asked Lewis to share a specific story and as he spoke about one woman this confident and eloquent man was obviously emotional. The statistics are overwhelming but Lewis reminded us that each person matters.

Did you contribute to the Beads of Hope campaign a few years back? Have you kept informed about what is happening with AIDS around the world? Should we still care as Christian communities?

3 comments:

IanD said...

I'm presently reading a biography on Ted Kennedy, and of particular interest is the fight in Congress c. 1987 to fund treatment, education and prevention re: AIDS in the United States. The general attitude toward the disease then was truly shocking in its ignorance, but it's clear to me how much progress we've made to date both in terms of education and in the fight in general since that time.

The international numbers may be grim, but despite this, more and more people are aware of the problem and are lending a hand to help.

Call it "the silver lining," I guess.

Nancy said...

I did participate in the Beads of Hope campaign and actually came across my pin just the other day. I am aware of what has been happening with AIDS around the world.

I am reminded of a situation my mother was in, about 12 years ago. My parents were living in Tobago, and with my father teaching all day, my mother wanted something to do. She has a nursing background and so she decided to make visits to the local hospital. She came across a man in hospital with HIV/AIDS. His family and friends rarely visited due to the stigma and fear. My mother made it then a part of her routine to visit him daily. He died shortly after my parents returned to Canada, however my mom received a note from the family letting her know how much her visits had meant to the patient. We should still care as Christian communities.

Deborah Laforet said...

Thanks for the reminder David. On this day, I try to remember the HIV/AIDS crisis around this world, but this is one year, it has slipped my mind. I will remember and pray today for all those effected by this disease and the stigma attached to it.