Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Gift of Glide


It's not easy for a Canadian guy to admit that he is a non-skater, but I have to "fess up." I just didn't learn as a kid, so I am basicallly blade challenged. I do have skates though, and I haul them out every once in a while and make my tentative way onto the ice.

The large pond at Darlington Park has been frozen and clear for a while now, so the past couple of days members of the family have loaded skates into the car and headed out. There are pressure cracks, rough patches, and the occasional patch of snow to make it interesting. But there is something about skating out of doors that is quite wonderful. It is a way of celebrating God's gift of winter when it it is tempting to "hunker down" and curse this season from indoors.

This is a photo taken on Ruth's cell phone with our daughter, Emily, helping to prop me up. You may notice the open water of Lake Ontario in the background. There is a thin beach between the pond and the lake, so when we got close to open water we could hear the waves crashing in.

The skating was a gift, although I am now recovering from a mysterious "lower body injury!" Alas, the balmy weather will bring this opportunity to an end.

Have you done anything outside over the Christmas season? Skiiing, skating, snowshoeing, sliding? A good brisk walk?

6 comments:

IanD said...

Good on ya, David. I'm jealous! My entire immediate family has been wiped out by flu since the 23rd, and we've only managed the odd trip out in the past few days.

Keep gliding!

Not Alone said...

Walking, hiking, sliding, skiing... even a family game of ultimate frisbee in the snow! I too am challenged with skating. Snowshoes were just purchased yesterday and I am waiting for the snow!

Nan said...

Yesterday, my husband and granddaughter walked along the trail by Bowmanville Creek, Valleys 2000, to feed the ducks and have a good look at nature at its best. She said that when the trail ran out they were like Dora the Explorer and not only did she love feeding the ducks, but enjoyed conversations with others, families and dog walkers, who were out enjoying the day and all that it had to offer.

Nancy said...

We have been skating on an outdoor pond, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Kids played hockey and I was the only adult with skates, guess that's the northern girl in me! My other half, is not a real outdoors person so skating is not something he learned. The adults walked the pond and one even got a ride in a cutter. Then before this warmer weather hit our immediate family also have hit the slopes. Fortunately, my other half did learn to ski! Today it's back to walking, as I'm sure these warm temperatures will not be good for the ice.

Lynnof60 said...

Just a comment. As I see the 'open water' behind you David I worry. If you are "not a skater" I'm thinking that altho' you are standing up on them you probably don't know how to stop. Please make sure you are always skating "away" from the open water! Richard never learned to skate as a child so took it up in his 40's. He can skate forward but cannot stop and cannot skate backwards - well, he can skate backwards if you push him! Bravo to you (and to him) for taking up that challenge!

David Mundy said...

Great to hear from all of you. Sounds like fun! I assure you Lynn that the beach was a good twenty metres wide, so my inability to build up a head of steam precluded the possiblity of baptism.

I'm afraid the snowshoes and cross county skis may languish for a while Not Alone.

Thanks for the encouragement on the skating, although I now have more than a bruised ego. The hip I landed on (twice) is not applauding my bravery.

May we all have a little Dora the Explorer in us.