Thursday, December 09, 2010

Joy to the World


God has a wicked sense of humour. Okay, since that sounds like blasphemy, I will amend my observation. Sometimes I wonder whether God is chuckling at the irony of my circumstances. On Monday I was struck down by what I'm assuming was the flu. You know, headache, sore throat, sore joints, queasiness --you've been there. Well most of that has passed and I'm now into the mother of all colds.

So I'm working at home rather than being Typhoid David, sharing my germs at work. And what is the sermon I'm working on for this week? Joy. of course, the joy which Christ brings in all the circumstances of life. I can hear the "nuck, nuck" in the background. I would prefer to just lie down and whimper but Sunday's a comin' and the show must go on. Oh, by the way, says God, there is a big snowstorm in the forecast for Sunday and this may be for naught anyway.

But, hey, I am warm and will recover and in the big picture I am blessed. Actually I feel better just writing this, finding a perspective of gratitude.

The readings for Sunday invite us into a joy which goes beyond the vagaries and trials of the moment. It is the joy which is abiding rather than fleeting, because Christ is with us.

What are you joyful about these days? This day? More importantly, will you come to hear my message on joy, even if it snows? Which reminds me, back to my sermon...

6 comments:

Nancy said...

I am joyful for the smiles on our children and good health of family. We will come to hear your sermon, really no excuse except if we can't get out of the door, or we lose a limb.....

Susan said...

The season of Advent and Christmas make me very joyful. It really is a joyful season for me - I love the carol singing, the cards, the letters, and the spending of time with family and friends. (And I was still joyful even though I could not take part in my church's evening carol service because I was full of cold but boy did the congregation ever sound wonderful!) I wish you a speedy recovery from your cold David.

Laurie said...

I will come to hear your message about Joy if my drive gets ploughed out(if we get snow). I am joyful at this time of year. I love Christmas, the music, the cards, family, presents!. The only thing I don't like is snow, cold, ice, cold wind, and more snow.I am also joyful it is only 13 more days till it starts getting lighter each day!Get well soon.

roger said...

I am joyful for having the best family in the world. My parents, sisters, girlfriend...they are all incredible people and I literally thank God every day that I am so blessed that way.

sjd said...

Hope you are all better by Sunday. My family and i will be there Sunday.
Did you get your flu shot?

David Mundy said...

Okay, nobody take any risks getting here please, although I see that the storm has been downgraded to a paltry 5 centimetres. I'm thinking of the poor schmos in Lucan, Ontario who got walloped with 177 cms in five days!

I'm glad to read your reasons for joy. I too look forward to the solstice and lengthening hours of daylight.

No flu shot this year, the first time in several. So, for all you naysayers...