Thursday, December 02, 2010

A Light is Gleaming


I like the Jewish festival called Hanukkah. Truth be told, it is sort of a "B Team" event which doesn't really rank up there with other Jewish holy days. It is not based on a biblical event, rather a legend from the time of the Maccabees. When the temple of Jerusalem was recaptured from the Greeks there wasn't enough oil to keep the sacred lamp burning, or so it seemed. Yet the lamp was miraculously sustained until enough oil was pressed eight days later. Nice story, and the idea of lighting candles for eight days in the darkest time of the year appeals to me.

Of course in many Christian churches the Advent candles of Hope, Peace, Joy and Love move us toward our celebration of Christ's birth, the one who is the light of the world. Every week in worship we light the Christ candle as a reminder that Christ is with us in both the "highs" and "lows" of life and death. It's hard to imagine that there was a day when people put real candles on their Christmas trees.
Most religious traditions have some festival of light, or regularly employ light in religious rituals. I suppose that in every time people have realized that life can become spiritually gloomy and God brings light and hope.

We haven't rooted out our family Menorah yet this year, but we have one, and usually observe Hanukkah in an informal way. When our kids were young we read a Hanukkah book, and ate potato latkes.

Do you have any candle lighting ceremonies in your life, other than birthday cakes? Do you like our religious rituals of creating light? Or are they outmoded in a time when light can be switched on or off in a moment?

8 comments:

Lynnof60 said...

I can't speak for everyone (no, I really can't) but I'm pretty sure that EVERYONE loves candles. There is something comforting about the flicker of candles (akin to a fireplace). As we ready for our big 'trip' tomorrow we have talked about how we will miss the Christmas Eve service and the "lighting of candles" and the singing of Silent Night in the freezing cold - it has become such a tradition for us. Richard says we are going to sing Silent Night on our balcony on the ship at midnight on Christmas Eve with our three teenage grandchildren (they will be soooo happy!). This is Lynnof60 (should probably change that number soon to reflect the truth) signing out for the Christmas Season. Wishing you all a Happy, Lighted filled and Joy filled Season.

Nancy said...

Lynn, go for it!! The two years we were in the Carribean for Christmas our family of 11 gathered and sang Silent Night from our balcony. It was amazing the number of people at the resort who stopped and joined in. We had with us a candle which we lit and used in the mini service we held in one of our rooms on Christmas day. Pack a candle and your bible or another family Christmas story which you can share on Christmas Eve.
We light candles on a regular basis. Often I light them on a Saturday evening and turn off all lights. I find them comforting and peaceful. I am often "revived" after this little ritual.

Laurie said...

Lynn, have a great Christmas. I light candles often, like Nancy I find them peaceful. My aunt still has the real candles on her Christmas tree. She lights them a few times and it is beautiful.

Deborah Laforet said...

I think candles are even more special in our electronic world because we use them on such special occasions. I also like the flickering of the candle and the warmth the flame symbolizes.

We use candles a lot at church, for Advent and Lent of course, and lighting the Christ Candle every week, but we also light them when we want to remember loved ones no longer with us. It seems to be a meaningful ritual for people.

Have a great time Lynn. I wish I could come with. Singing "Silent Night" from the balcony sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate Christmas.

IanD said...

Light at Christmas always makes me think of "A Christmas Carol" and the second stave where Scrooge meets the Ghost of Christmas Past.

I always thought it was interesting how Dickens "illuminated" Scrooge's dark and dreary existance with that blindingly bright first ghost - the one that contained the memories of his happy childhood.

It's also interesting how in most film versions of the story, that first ghost is noticeably darker or less luminous as they work their way through Scrooge's descent into greed.

And I'm with you on how one would ever pop real candles on the tree nowadays, David. It would certainly make things interesting during those times that the cats try to tackle the tree!

Nan said...

I love candles especially that flickering flame. It's like a fire, almost mesmerizing. I must admit, that we use a lot of the tea lights now that use batteries and not matches, especially good when our granddaughter is around or if I want to put them on early and don't want to worry about them. The lighting of the candles at the Christmas Eve service, along with the singing of Silent Night, is one of my most favourite traditions of the Christmas Season. I know how much you'll miss this part of Christmas Eve, Lynne, so we'll light an extra candle for you as we leave the church. As you light yours on the ship and sing Silent Night with your family, know that we are sharing together in this wonderful tradition, even though we are many kilometers apart.

Forail said...

Wow... Thank you David... :) What a fabulous depiction of Chanukkah. :) I do love the crossover between Judiasm and Christianity... How well the parallels fit.. Since one is based in the other, it makes sense. :)

I love lighting candles. It brings be back to a time earlier in my life, where my mom would be lighting candles for almost every Jewish holiday, and each Shabbat... And the prayers lovingly sung in Hebrew, almost brings tears to my eyes. I remember as a child, that it almost seemed tedious... Now, it's a fabulous memory, that I cherish, and relive in a small way each week. I can hear my mom's voice in my head each week, when the candle's lit...

Baruch atah Ado-nai, Ehlo-haynu melech Ha-olam, asher kideshanu b'mitzvotav v'tzeevanu l'hadlik ner shel Chanukkah.

David Mundy said...

Cool, a little Hebrew from someone who grew up in a Jewish household. Your reminiscence is lovely Forail.

I really enjoyed all your observations and reflections. Life has been hectic lately so I haven't been responding much but I appreciate all your thoughts.

Lynn, we know you will sparkle and twinkle wherever you are this Christmas. If I had known Rich's plan I would have sent him off with some tapers.