Friday, December 24, 2010

Meaningful Bedfellows


I had a meaningful moment at the hospital last week when I went to visit one of our members in the Stroke Unit at the Oshawa hospital. Murray is ninety years old, a delightful character who "talks a blue streak." Although his left side has been partially paralysed, he pointed out that his speech hasn't been affected. When I kidded him that this will be the last thing to go for him, he chuckled, as did the two roommates who were listening in on the conversation. I realized that these guys were "tuned in," so I asked them their names and how long they have been in hospital. Both have been there since early November and likely won't get out for Christmas.

At the end of the visit I asked Murray if I could read the Christmas story from Luke. Then I asked the other two if this would be alright, since folk in a hospital room are a captive audience. Sure, they said, so I read the familiar words. When I finished I saw one of them dabbing tears from his eyes. I seized the moment and asked if they would like to be included in my prayer with Murray. Yes, they replied, and I did pray for them by name.

As I have said to you before, there are these remarkable moments in ministry which often touch me very deeply. When I walked in the door these two men were total strangers but I left to their smiles and their thanks.

2 comments:

roger said...

David, that is very touching and as you point out, it is moments like that that make life more meaningful.

With my girlfriend's father being in hospital for a month now and not being home for Christmas, as well as having roommates, your blog resonates for us.

David Mundy said...

I hope this was a meaningful Christmas for D. and her family, despite the circumstances.