Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Greatest Prayer


I fed my book addiction before Christmas with the purchase of John Dominic Crossan's latest book, The Greatest Prayer. The prayer referred to is what we Protestants call the Lord's Prayer and Roman Catholics call the Our Father. Crossan's books are always worthwhile even though I don't come to the same theological conclusions. This book reminded me that I have never preached in any depth on the prayer which Jesus offered in response to the request from his disciples, "Lord, teach us to pray." So, a sermon series it is.

Last week was an introduction and this week I'll focus on those first two words, "our Father." In the earliest days of the church this prayer was called the Abba Prayer. Abba was a term of intimacy along the lines of our English word "daddy." In The Message bible paraphrase Eugene Peterson uses "papa," which is equally startling. What if we began each week "our Daddy in heaven?" We tend to be rather cold in our imagery and metaphors for God in our more intellectual United Church tradition. In fact, there are times when I listen to UCC leaders where I get the sense that "God" is really used to describe whatever cause we happen to be supporting at the moment, rather that the Holy Other who is also Loving Parent. If we're not carefull Our God-talk is really us-talk, in all its earnestness.

Do you think that the Lord's Prayer is the Greatest Prayer in Christian tradition? What are your recollections about learning this prayer? Are you glad we still teach it? And what about that notion of God as a loving daddy or mommy?

5 comments:

Deborah Laforet said...

What a coincidence. I am planning the same worship series for this congregation. We begin next week. We have the Sunday School involved by leading our children's time each week. They are beginning this week so that next week they can share their reflections with the rest of us. I'm quite excited about it.

And I didn't know John Dominic Crossan just released a book about this prayer. I do like the way he writes, so I guess I will be purchasing one more book about this prayer.

And yes, I think it is good to study this prayer. It is a prayer common to all Christians and it was used by Jesus to teach us how to pray.

David Mundy said...

It is a really worthwhile book Deb. I hope this exploration goes well for you and the congregation. Hey, I know where there is a series of sermons on the internet!

IanD said...

I remember a time when we said the Lord's Prayer after singing O Canada in school. I believe we did that up until about 1985 (grade two, for me.)

David Mundy said...

Now we can establish your age Ian. Take a look at sermon one in the series.

sjd said...

If Jesus is the one who taught it then it must be good as far as I'm concerned.
Too bad they don't say it in school anymore.