Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Spiritual Renewal


I am in Victoria, British Columbia, in anticipation of this year's Epiphany Explorations conference. I attended for the first time last year and really enjoyed the range of speakers and the music leadership.

I decided to attend again in part because of the keynote speaker, Philip Yancey. http://www.philipyancey.com/ I have really enjoyed Yancey's books through the years. He is a very thoughtful and accessible writer who comes out of the evangelical tradition. He is living proof that "thoughtful evangelical" is not an oxymoron.

The music leader this year is Marty Haugen whose pieces are in both Voices United and More Voices. http://www.martyhaugen.net/ In fact we sang Let Us Build A House to begin worship a couple of weeks ago. Marty was the music leader at the conference I attended in New Mexico last June, so it is a small world. I had a number of opportunities to chat with him during that week and was really impressed by his theology of music, along with the hymns and songs themselves.

I find that I really need the opportunities for spiritual renewal, whether it is through conferences and seminars, or retreat time. Sunday worship is work for ministers as are study groups, so we need to reacquaint ourselves with God and "think deep thoughts" with the assistance of others.

Take a look at the brochure for this year's conference. Does it make sense to you that clergy need these opportunities for spiritual renewal and stimulation?

5 comments:

IanD said...

I'm glad that you have these opportunities, and that you take them to make the most of them David.

Have a good time getting recharged!

janet.rice said...

Can't think of anything healthier than escaping the Bowmanville Box and immersing yourself in this type of conference...to gain perspective and stimulation. Enjoy!

Deborah Laforet said...

I love getting out of this small town for a time of spiritual renewal. I admit, I haven't had much lately. I have heard so much about the Epiphany Exploration in B.C., but that would pretty much use up my continuing education budget, so I find other events closer to home. Every year I go to the Winter Refresher, offered at St. Andrew's in Saskatoon, although I am missing it this year to attend a church meeting in Toronto.

Have a great time David. I enjoy Marty Haugen's music and wish I could be there with you to enjoy it.

Laura said...

When you benefit...so does your "flock." Enjoy!
(I recall when you attended last year you blogged about enjoying Linnea Good's musical leadership so when she came to a church nearby us last spring, we made the effort and took the kids along, and loved our evening with Linnea. Was just remembering also the two poems you shared during this time last year "The Guest House" & "Tripping Over Joy".So worthy of a trip into your blog archives to find and re-read/Jan 30/10)

David Mundy said...

Ian and Janet, I will take your comments as blessings. I really do find conferences such as these to be rocket boosters for ministry.

Deb, you need Victoria in the dead of a Saskatchewan winter.

It was good to see those reminders of last year's conference Laura.