Monday, February 14, 2011

Love Ya!

Confusing. Just plain confusing -- Valentine's Day, that is. Most people assume it is a secular celebration and perhaps the conspiracy of a number of different industries to squeeze some cash out of romantic love. In many respects Valentine's Day is secular, and the folks who want to sell you diamonds and chocolates and cards treat it that way.

As I have mentioned other years, it does have a Christian connection with St. Valentine, a martyr in the third century whose execution had to do with self-giving love rather than romantic love. St. Valentine's Day was a Roman Catholic saints day until the 1960's when he was fired, so to speak. I'm not sure why he was removed from the list of saints days, but it happened. I didn't know until this year that it was Henry VIII, who wouldn't be my top candidate for love expertise, who declared February 14th Valentine's Day in 1537.

Jesus urged us to love God with everything in us and our neighbour as ourselves. He also asked us to love our enemies. Good reminders on Valentine's Day.

Will you spend some quality time with your Sweetie today, maybe over a nice dinner? What about the "loving your enemies" thing? Would we better off "delisting" Valentine's Day ala the R.C's because of all the hype?

3 comments:

sjd said...

Just like Christmas the focus it you have to spend big or she will think you don't care.
I love my wife more than words can say. Even if it's written in a 6 page $10 greeting card from Halmark.
As for my ennimies. Fortunately I can count them on 1 hand, and have fingers to spare. I'm not going to buy them a card even if it's from the dollar store. I suppose I can take them off my hit list, and move on reassured that I will hardly ever have to deal with them again.

Laura said...

My beloved and I are taking a Monday night off our normal tag team to dance lessons for the three girls. Tonight, they can take care of each other at the dance classes and we're going to dine out,(no need to call in the authorities, they're old enough) so I am grateful tonight for permission, even encouragement, to turn a mid February, Monday night into something special.
The kids explored "loving your enemies" in Sunday School yesterday. Not something any of them had thought about....all thought it to be a challenge...but hopefully it is percolating in their hearts and souls this week; it is in mine.

Deborah Laforet said...

I thought of Christmas as well. Look at the number of religious holidays that have become about consumerism and gift-giving: Christmas, St. Valentine's Day, and Easter. And then you have wonderful days of appreciation for Mothers and Fathers, and even birthdays, that are also about what you bought and what you got. It's sad. Can't we celebrate together without gift-giving?

And as for me, I stayed home for Valentine's Day. My husband and I had our anniversary last week, and we are taking a couple of days away next week, which is the school winter break.