Monday, February 28, 2011

The Oscars


Huh. So much for the attempt to capture the young adult demographic at the Oscars last night. Host Anne Hathaway seemed like a cheerleader in an evening gown (a bunch of them) and James Franco gets the award for best impersonation of a befuddled stoner. My 24-year-old daughter is a Franco fan, but she was underwhelmed by his performance as co-MC. Anyway, I took off for an hour and a half to watch the concluding episode of an excellent drama on PBS called Any Human Heart. I returned for Best Picture and Best Actor, but it was all a rather stilted and boring affair.

It has been pointed out that a number of the Best Picture nominees explored moral and ethical issues, even though there wasn't a single film which was overtly religious. We saw seven of the ten nominated films and I would agree. Even the bewildering Inception ventures into the realm of forgiveness and the hold that our regrettable choices have upon us. I thought that the film which was the ugly duckling of the bunch, Winter's Bone, was very powerful, reminding us of the effeects of poverty and the strength of the human spirit.

Any thoughts about the films this year, or the winners?

3 comments:

roger said...

I saw six or seven of the movies up for best picture, and my favourites were The King's Speech and Social Network. I was glad KS won for best picture.

I had gone to see that movie with my parents, who are English and in their 80's. They can both remember his wartime speeches, so it was interesting to hear their thoughts about the movie. They both really enjoyed it too.

Lynnof60 said...

We saw Inside Job a couple of weeks ago. Would recommend it altho' it leaves you feeling somewhat unsettled. I didn't see all of the movies but am certainly glad that the King's Speech won. It was wonderful.

David Mundy said...

I saw an interview with the film maker who made the same point Lynn.

You're right Johnny. The King's Speech was just good entertainment.