Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Time for Forgiveness


This week is about God's passionate love for us in Christ, the power of forgiveness and reconciliation. So, it's appropriate that PBS is offering the first of a two-part series called Forgiveness: A Time to Love and a Time to Hate tonight on WNED. In some areas it broadcast this past Sunday evening, but around here is will be on successive Tuesdays.


From what I can gather the series will look at forgiveness from both secular and religious viewpoints. Of course the title draws on one of the couplets from Ecclesiastes 3 which tells us that there is a time and a season for everything.


There are several online clips available, including an interview with producer and director Helen Whitney. I think it will be worthwhile. http://www.helenwhitney.com/


Do you connect the drama of Holy Week with forgiveness? Is it about the forgiveness you receive in Christ, the forgiveness you extend to others, or a combination of both?

2 comments:

marketplus said...

I agree with you

Laurie said...

I just spent a half hour I didn't really have watching the shorts on this. Fascinating. I have seen a couple of her works, well researched and very interesting to watch. I will be watching tonight. I believe everyone has a moral compass and that religion doesn't have much to do with forgiveness. The acts of praying for forgiveness or reciting ritual words over and over make people feel they have done something to atone for their acts. It also gives religious leaders control over their flock, more so in the past then now.