Wednesday, May 04, 2011

And Jesus Sang

The other day I read a short but very good article in the Christian Century by Barbara Taylor Brown called And Jesus Sang. She begins this way:

After all this time I thought I knew Jesus really well. Then just last week—preparing to preach at a congregational celebration of word and music—I discovered something unsettling about him. If my concordance is telling the truth, then he never played an instrument, never led his followers in song, never hummed a refrain or sang himself to sleep. After all these years, this is like learning that he never skipped a stone on water or warmed his hands at a fire. How is it possible to be fully human without ever making music?

She goes on to say that she eventually realized that the gospels do mention Jesus singing, as he leaves the Last Supper for Gethsemane.


Singing is such an important part of worship and the life of the Christian community and many of us learn scripture and faith itself through music.


This past Sunday night there was a lot of singing at St. Paul's. This annual event is often called the Choir Concert, but there was a rich variety of music which included all three music groups, as well as our kinda guest organist Patrick -- about 50 participants in all. There were solos and duets and combined choir pieces, greatly enjoyed by the gathered audience/congregation. Fourteen-year-old Amy delighted the crowd with her solo, ably accompanied by young Christopher, but everyone was appreciated.


What are your thoughts on music and worship? Is it vital or optional? Are you a "joyful noiser?"Were you there Sunday evening?

6 comments:

Forail said...

I wish I could have gone on Sunday night. My schedule is insane. :P

Singing in ENGLISH, in worship is a new-ish thing for me. Since I started attending services a number of years ago, I didn't know ANY of the tunes, nor did I recognize any of the songs, funny enough. :)

Now, I recognize many of the songs and hymns that are sung on Sunday mornings... And I'm starting to develop some favorites... :)

IanD said...

Everyone did a bang up job, as usual ... 'cept for the red-headed kid who botched his organ solo and had to start over.

Amateur.

Amy was spectacular. I'm 33 and have performed in front of people for a dog's age, but you'd never catch me piping up like that! And at that age?! Bananas.

The role of music in worship is interesting, for sure. As I understand it, in the ancient church, music was originally viewed with hostility and suspicion; largely because authorities worried that its presence might distract or subvert congregants from focusing on the text.

Crazy how far we've come.

Laura said...

Having watched our girls invest hours in a solo, and a dance for worship in recent weeks, I felt blessed that St Paul's supported them in finding meaning through song and movement...non traditional perhaps, but meaningful mediums to connect them to their faith.
I have little (or no) musical talent but still love the music. There is something in joining our voices together in church that provides me with deep connection to the words, the community and energy to take away.
I left Sunday night's concert feeling very "rich".

Deborah Laforet said...

I don't think I could ever separate music from worship. For me, music is worship.

Here is a verse from a song from Linnea Good, one of my favourite artists, that I would like to share with you. It's a song called the "The Three Tenors." It's mostly about a man in the choir who just loves to sing although he's not always on key or has the right rhythm and although people might cringe and become irritated, it's more about making a joyful noise then about a performance. It's a song that makes me laugh.

The bible says a lot about Jesus the man,
how he could heal a leper with the touch of his hand.
He could calm a raging storm and turn water into wine.
Using mud he gave sight to a man who'd been born blind.
He could preach; he could tell stories; he was good at many things.
but the bible never does tell us just how well Jesus could sing.
If that had been among his talents,
I am sure it would have been mentioned.
So, either his voice was ordinary or no one paid attention.
So, after the last supper, when they were in the Upper Room,
James and John asked Jesus to sit in the centre I assume,
so that one could sing in his left ear and one could sing on his right.
then maybe they could help him to stay on pitch
and the hymn would sound all right.

Deborah Laforet said...

P.S. I really miss the St. Paul's Choir Concerts!

David Mundy said...

Thanks to you all, and good to hear from you Deb. We miss your participation in the concerts. I trust you're not writing from a canoe!