Friday, May 27, 2011

The CGI Version of the Bible

Mark Burnett rose to prominence with the show Survivor and I must resist the temptation to take his name in vain for launching the era of so-called reality programming. He must be held responsible for The Apprentice and more recently, The Voice. I find television to be a wasteland because of the glut of reality shows, but I know many love 'em.


Bet you can't guess Burnett's latest project. It is a ten-part series for the History channel on the bible, and there will be plenty of CGI (computer generated graphics) employed in telling the biblical stories he and his wife, Roma Downey, have chosen. The series plans to span Genesis to the Revelation of John.

How will they create suspense? Will Judas be voted out of the Upper Room? Donald Trump as part of the Final Judgement? I shudder at how they will treat the resurrection, but I suppose I shouldn't pre-judge. The bible does say, "judge not, lest you be judged."


What do you think about this? Is it helpful in an age when few pick up a bible in book form to have the stories dramatized on TV? After all, there have been many movies made about biblical stories, all of which seem to get shown at Easter whether they have anything to do with the resurrection or not. Would you be inclined to watch the series?

2 comments:

IanD said...

Surprised it hasn't happened before!

sjd said...

I loath so-called reality TV.
I hope this is a case of doing something different.