Friday, November 18, 2011

Holy Books



As you have figured out I always have my eye out for art exhibits. The connection between art in its various forms and spiritual expression is strong and my undergrad degree was in art history. I noticed that the Morgan Gallery in New York City currently has an exhibit of Islamic art. In earlier centuries Islam nurtured science and mathematics, architecture and art. When people were still living in thatched huts in much of Europe Muslim scientists and artists were leading the way. Sadly, both the sciences and the arts are viewed with suspicion by fundamentalist practitioners of Islam.




The Morgan exhibit includes a selection of covers of the Quran. The intricate designs are fascinating from my perspective. http://www.themorgan.org/collections/works/islamic/default.asp




Take a look and tell us what you think.

No comments: