Saturday, December 24, 2011

The I-lights of the Season



I am always pleasantly surprised at the cards and messages of Christmas, not to mention a little guilty at times. We have received notes from folk on every pastoral charge served through the years, including one from a friend who is now in midlife, has a family, and is a United Church minister. She was in our youth group in our early days in Newfoundland --actually a tween! The years do fly by.


Another was from a woman I met at the beginning of my ministry in Sudbury. When I first saw her she tearfully told me she had just received a bleak medical diagnosis and the estimate of two to five years to live. That was twenty three years ago.


I also heard from a couple of seminary classmates from days of yore, including long-time friend, photographer, poet, Norm Edson. He wrote this poem earlier this month. It is I-catching, and he has given me permission to share it with you.



iLight



if, tomorrow the Man from Nazareth

were to come a Second Time

would I even notice?



would my iPod, iPhone, iPad lights

reflecting my I back to me

blind me to his I-giving light?



would my I's be so dazzled

as to not recognize

his We-- his Us--

his One for the Good of All?



A Merry, Christ-filled Christmas to you all!

3 comments:

IanD said...

Merry Christmas, David. Thanks for all you do in keeping St. Paul's tuned in and glued together.

Laurie said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family. Thanks for your ideas, your sermons and your blogs.

Unknown said...

Dear Friend,
Can you please give me permission to use the picture of "The I-lights of the Season" for a Christmas / Season Greetings 2013.
You may also let me know how I can best acknowledge the artist.

With best wishes
Charles Ringrow
subhavna.cni@gmail.com