Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Hopeful

Just so you know, I hate jetlag. I am back in Ontario after the Epiphany Explorations conference. As with the past two years, there were presenters whose work I knew before attending and some who were pleasant surprises. One of those surprises was Martin Brokenleg, a therapist, and professor of aboriginal theology at the Vancouver School of Theology. He offered insights into what community means in First Nations cultures in ways that it are difficult for our individualistic dominant culture to understand. I really appreciated his insights and his humour.
I thought of Dr. Brokenleg as leaders from 400 native communities gathered in Ottawa yesterday to meet with federal government officials. There are treaty settlements to be negotiated and ongoing discussions about aboriginal autonomy. I wonder if we will ever really comprehend the cultural differences which have led to centuries of misunderstanding and heartache.
Brokenleg acknowledged the brokenness but he is also a hopeful person. he is the co-author of a book called Reclaiming Youth at Risk: Our Hope for the Future. He offered an approach to healing which was grounded in culture. I pray that something worthwhile comes out of this one-day summit.
Have you followed the news about this gathering? Are you hopeful?

3 comments:

IanD said...

Key phrase for me was "agressive action," as promised by the PM.

For a government known for its innate aggressiveness to use such a phrase makes me hopeful that we'll see some progress soon.

Laura said...

I don't believe most of us individually, or collectively, understand the root of this Canadian issue.

From the surface we have found lots of solutions but no fix.

We are too often blinded by our own perspectives of progressive Canadian life, of politics, of economics and have spent little, or no time considering the human heartache and loss at its root.
I have been grateful for the media attention that these recent events have attracted, and the information that has followed.
I do have hope, even if the sense that true progress will unfold only slowly.

David Mundy said...

I can only hope Ian that there will be constructive action, although aboriginal leaders are expressing concern that the rhetoric was more of the same.

I agree Laura that the dominant culture just doesn't get aboriginal culture and figures that the solution is that First Nations "get on board" with our way of living. And we don't seem to understand that subjugated aboriginal peoples around the world experience similar realities of displacement.

Thanks to both of you.