Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Charter for Compassion


I am always clear when I speak about the relationships between religions that a "one size fits all" approach is not helpful. Religions are very different and I am a Christian because I am convinced in heart and mind that God's revelation in Christ is unique and life-changing. That said, I am a strong believer in respect and dialogue between religions. And that there are common places for our conversation, including a commitment to compassion.
Today Karen Armstrong, author of 12 Steps to a Compassionate Life and founder of the Charter for Compassion will hold a symposium on the progress of the charter.
Dear Friends,

Please join me on March 22 for “The State of the Charter for Compassion” – a celebration of the tremendous progress we’ve made together, and a vision for the road ahead as we continue to reassert compassion as the cornerstone of a just economy and a peaceful world. Among the highlights, I will unveil the Charter’s elegant new website as well as a refreshed look and feel.
The “State of the Charter” will immediately follow my lecture, “What is Religion?” hosted by
Simon Fraser University’s Center for Dialogue in Vancouver. You can watch both the lecture and the Charter update live via streaming video, from 7-9 p.m.
Pacific time at:
www.CharterForCompassion.org
or www.Facebook.com/CharterForCompassion
If you’re unable to join the live broadcast, it also will be archived in both locations for viewing at your convenience.
Is it worth seeking out common ground for compassion? Are some religions more disposed to compassion than others? Have you signed on to the charter?

3 comments:

IanD said...

I think it's a worthy enterprise, and I'm actually mildly surprised that Fraser's hosting! Wow.

David Mundy said...

That venue intrigued me as well Ian,

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I have read several of Karen Armstrong's books including 12 Steps to a Compassionate Life. I'll check out the links later today.