Saturday, April 07, 2012

The Devil You Say

We have wrapped up Lent and those of us who gave up or took on practices during the season are now "off the hook." I was highly unoriginal in foregoing sugary stuff and Ruth committed herself to being active in every day. She was more 'ligious' that I was, usually listening to Pray As You Go while she walked.http://www.pray-as-you-go.org/

I'm tryng to remember who told me this year that the 25 year tradition of Roll Up The Rim has a sinister Lenten connection, at least according to the urban/suburban myth. The story goes that Tim Hortons was concerned about the drop in sales during Lent as folk gave up their sweet treasures and even coffee. So they created an incentive to sin with the free giveaways. I'm having trouble buying into this one, but it might be there are little red horns on the brows of the late Tim Horton and his co-founder Ron Joyce!

Anyone else hear this one? Maybe we should all give up urban myths for Lent. How did you do during Lent, or did you bother?

2 comments:

Lynnof60 said...

I DID IT!!! 6.5weeks without dessert. I never thought it could/would happen but I DID IT! Richard came along with me which made it easier but in actual fact it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I am wondering if the notion of "it takes six weeks to break a habit" comes from the timeline of lent.
Yes, I too heard the urban myth last weekend when in Paris Ontario. It made me go huh?
Happy Easter !

David Mundy said...

Nice going Lynn and Rich. Could be on the habit thing. I'm waiting for Tim Hortons to refute their Lenten myth.