Sunday, May 13, 2012

No Greater Love

First of all, Happy Mother's Day to all you moms (mine included.) Did you know that Julia Ward Howe declared the first Mother's Day in 1870 as an empassioned call to peace?
On to Helene Campbell who became an Ellen DeGeneres, Justin Bieber-worthy cause celebre because of her need for a double lung transplant and her public appeal for organ donation.
Helene received her new lungs and afterward her parents publicly expressed gratitude for all the prayers their daughter received, and the generosity of the donor. Her dad spoke of the prayers with hands touching in the classic prayer pose and that simple gesture was very moving. It was a reminder that this sort of practical and sacrificial generosity can be a profound form of prayer.

I was reminded of her journey by Jesus' words from John's gospel for today "no one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends."
Helene went home from hospital and then back in again, so we need to pray for her recovery. And we can make sure that our driver's licenses indicate our willingness to be organ donors, as well as checking online that we are on the donor registry of our province or state.
Does it work for you that a willingness to be a donor is a prayerful, practical act? Have you registered your intentions? Are you superstitious about doing so? Just to reassure you, I did so years ago and I'm still kicking.

2 comments:

IanD said...

When my wallet was stolen last year, I had to go through the hassle of renewing all of my essential documents.

At one point, I was asked by the government teller I was dealing with if I would consent to be an organ donor in the event of my untimely passing. It was jarring request (because who wants to ponder that with twelve people fidgeting behind you in line) but I ended up agreeing to it.

I left the building feeling like I had done a good thing that day.

David Mundy said...

There is a member of our family who just doesn't want to have the conversation about organ donation and has no intention of signing her license to that end. She is a giving, caring person, but the subject gives her the heebie-jeebies.

It is a jarring subject but you did do a good thing Ian.