Saturday, May 12, 2012

Praiseworthy


Last Monday was Music Monday across Canada, a celebration of the many ways in which music touches our lives.
How appropriate that this day came just after St. Paul's members and anyone they could convince to come with them enjoyed two musical events. The first was the Annual Spring Concert featuring both Senior and Junior choirs and a number of talented individuals. The church was full, the congregation/audience had a great evening of excellent music and went away happy.
A week later many of the same people and a bunch more -- 350+ -- came together for Lynn Live Four, an every-five-year event which is the brain and soul child of Lynn L. who happens to be a choir member and a reader. Fortunately I can say good things about Lynn Live with a clear conscience. Lynn enlisted the support of her musical extended family plus some other excellent musicians for two lovely hours. Again, everyone went away satisfied and uplifted.
And I guess I should mention that the two events raised in excess of $7,000 for the life and work of St. Paul's. Impressive.
Where would we be without music as the family of faith? Every week we celebrate Music Sunday
and we are moved into the presence of God through praise.
Any comments about what music means to you? How about your response to these two events?

3 comments:

Read4ever365 said...

A musician we met in Cuba who spent every evening playing his saxophone on the beach as the sun set into the sea summed it up for me: "Music is the voice of God".

All the music at St. Paul's brings me closer to God.....especially the Closing Prayer. The lyrics are posted on my fridge and I find myself humming it throughout the week. We also appreciate the variety of music St. Paul's offers during worship.

Brenda

IanD said...

Rock on.

Lynnof60 said...

Why, thank you! You do know that Lynn Live is a labour of love? I can't believe that a week has past.
I can't imagine my life without music. It certainly enhances my spiritual life. When I can't think of the words to pray I can always sing them. When sitting beside someone's bedside with no words to say I can always sing a hymn. When visiting someone with Alzheimer's and there are no words music can be the one connection. It IS the music of God.