Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Stirred Up


Country music star Carrie Underwood is coming to Bowmanville (well, Mosport) in August and I couldn't care less. I am intrigued though that she has entered the same-gender marriage conversation in the States. Underwood grew up Baptist and still attends a non-denominational church. She feels that her Christian faith and the underlying ethic of love motivates her to accept
gay couples:
"As a married person myself, I don’t know what it’s like to be told I can’t marry somebody I love, and want to marry. I can’t imagine how that must feel. I definitely think we should all have the right to love, and love publicly, the people that we want to love."
Also, another black pastor, Frederick Haynes of a Baptist megachurch in Texas has spoken out in support of President Obama's recent statement about same-gender marriage:
“Why are you so angry? Jesus never said a word about it [homosexuality]. … Well, maybe we need to talk about what issues you may have, because evidently you’ve got some major issues, or there is an ignorance that is rooted in fear. Y’all are not feeling this, but I’m going to preach the gospel anyhow, because you do understand, my brothers and sisters, that the sad reality is, we love to judge other folks’ sins, because it keeps it off of us, as opposed to looking at us.”
I appreciate the courage of both Underwood and Haynes. Both live in the Bible Belt South but they have the courage of their convictions. And hey, when the president of the United States talks, people get stirred up. I think that the discussion is long overdue. I know I have written about this recently, but any other comments?

2 comments:

sjd said...

Live and let live. Love and let love. To each their own.

IanD said...

Not a big deal, in my corner. Let's just all get along and GET ON GLOBAL WARMING!

We're all on the same team, people! (Wow ... unintentially ill-placed pun, right there.)