Thursday, June 07, 2012

How Do You Spell Ecumenical?


Yesterday I got a look at the order of worship for this week. On Sunday the doors of many Bowmanville churches of all stripes will be closed so that we can join together in Rotary Park for our annual (fifth annual?) ecumenical service. I have said before that what we are doing is unprecedented in my experience. There are ecumenical services in some communities other than on Sunday morning. But to gather for morning worship in this way is a big deal and we get 500 to 600 people.

This is not a win/win situation. It is a win/win/win scenario. We show the community we can get along as Christians. We receive an offering which supports chaplaincy in Bowmanville hospital. We join in worshipping God with a speaker who will challenge us to consider self-giving in a very different way.

Well before all the interest stirred up by Helene Campbell's remarkable journey through double lung transplantation we decided that, if possible, we would have as our speaker someone who could address organ donation from a person standpoint.

Talk about personal! Our speaker on Sunday will be Deacon Michael Hayes, the only
two-time living organ donor in Canada. I joked with my colleagues that we better get him soon while there is still something left, but this is no joking matter. I am looking forward to hearing Michael, in part because of my fascination with those who have the courage to make this extraordinary gift when they are the decision-makers. It's one thing to say "sure, make off with my spare parts once I'm gone." It's another altogether when this is a personal choice. Not only has Michael survived these two donations (a kidney and part of his liver) but he is currently training for the 2013 Boston Marathon. I think I would use the donations as an excuse not to run.

I certainly hope you will join us at 11:00 am.

Comments?



1 comment:

IanD said...

Nice to see everyone in a progressive and open frame of mind!