Sunday, August 12, 2012

Dumbo's Place in the Choir


All God's creatures got a place in the choir
Some sing low and some sing higher
Some sing out loud on the telephone wire
Some just clap their hands or paws or anything they've got now


Listen to the bass it's the one at the bottom
Where the bullfrog croaks and the hippopotamus
Moans and groans in the big tattoo
And the old cow just goes "moo"
The dogs and the cats they take up the middle
Where the honey bee hums and the cricket fiddles
The donkey brays and the pony neighs
And the old grey badger sighs oh

All God's creatures got a place in the choir
Some sing low and some sing higher
Some sing out loud on the telephone wire
Some just clap their hands or paws or anything they've got now


Today is World Elephant Day. Yup, you heard it first right here on the Lion Lamb blog. Chances are you did see it here first because this is the inaugural WED. I don't know why I chuckled and shook my head when I came across the news. After all, there is a day for just about everything else, but it just struck me as...you know.

Of course I read on and realized that elephant's are still up against it, even though they are supposedly protected. There are just over 40,000 Asian and 400,000 African elephants and the numbers are diminishing. Even though trade in ivory is banned, 2011 was a record year for seizures with a tusk going for $15,000. http://worldelephantday.org/how-to-help-elephants/elephant-facts

The pressure from human settlements is so great that in both Africa and Asia there are a growing number of nose to trunk confrontations and even though the humans lose initially, the elephants suffer in the end.

We do need to make room for these magnificent creatures and their subsonic trumpeting in God's choir rather than silencing them. I take back my chuckling.

Any elephantophiles out there? Is World Elephant Day just a little too earnest? Should Christians care?

5 comments:

IanD said...

Nice title.

But, I thought Dumbo led the choir .... ;)

Laura said...

Was thinking of these lyrics as we listened to a talented bunch of bullfrogs one hot night on the shores of Weller's Bay (Lake Ontario).

I heard that it was "lazy day" earlier in the week, and "ice cream sandwich day" was coming. Elephants seem very worthy, in comparison.



We "Bowmanvillians" should celebrate this day. Where else in Canada might you live and see an elephant out for exercise on the main street. They are a magnificent creature up close!

I did happen to notice that it is "Middle Child Day" today...I am sure my cards and gifts will arrive in the mail tomorrow.

Laurie said...

It is also Vinyl Record day! Just might have to go and find that song and listen to it. And to all the Left Hand people, celebrate your day tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

sorry to have missed your special day Laura. maybe next year.

David Mundy said...

As a Southpaw I'm thrilled to find out about my day. All your comments were Jumbo rather than dumbo.