Thursday, August 30, 2012

Upstream

It was a cold, blustery Maple Fest last Fall where I listened to the opening pitch for the fundraising for a new fish ladder on Bowmanville Creek. I walked up to my bank and took out money to make a contribution which I think was one of the first. While my gift was modest the campaign got into gear and managed to secure the roughly $500,000  for a project which will get the large rainbow trout and salmon past the Goodyear dam to their spawning areas in various other streams and creeks.

Unfortunately the construction isn't where it should be and the salmon have returned early this year. So in true human fashion the powers that be are doing their best to make up for our mess. A team has been netting the salmon, putting them in a sort of reverse zip line and taking them above the dam so they continue on their journey. The story was considered newsworthy enough to be covered by the CBC.



I contributed because as a Christian I figure faithful stewardship includes putting my money where my mouth is for the healing of the planet. We are a goofy bunch, making it tough for other species to survive, then trying to fix it. But it is worth the effort. Of course the followers of  Jesus should be partial to the notion of fishing given the gang he called to be disciples.

Have any of you been down to see this unique "catch and release" project. Does is make sense to give the fish a "tush push." Should we see something like this as consistent with our Earthcare values?

6 comments:

Nancy said...

We have been down, and my tween was"bored" however I think it is important that she see what can be down for our environment and why. I find the whole process of the "salmon zip line" fascinating!

On another note, this summer out west we saw several "animal bridges" which are designed to help wildlife cross our manmade highways safely. We know from talking to a warden at one of our national parks, that this has been successful. The animals do use the bridges. While traveling to northern Ontario this summer we noticed that on the new 69/400 4 lane highway, they have built an "animal bridge". Looks like maybe we are getting it as humans.

Nancy said...

oops that's "done for our environment"

janet.rice said...

"But it is worth the effort". Of course! It is our very own local Earthcare challenge. The Valleys2000 volunteers have worked so hard to stick-handle their way through bureaucracy and raise funds for the new fish ladder....and now this! I am grateful that so many people are interested and showing concern.(including CBC!!)

roger said...

I do a lot of driving in northern Ontario, and I have lost count the number of times I have gotten out of my vehicle to carry a turtle across the highway. If I have come across so many, it saddens me to think how many have been run over.

I like to think most of the turtles have appreciated the helping hand, but one particularly large turtle actually growled at me!

willowjakmom said...

Roger's story reminds me of a family friend (a Newfoundlander to be more specific, so imagine the story told with his unique accent). He turned a bend on the road that runs alongside Balsam Lake and was met by a large tree trunk that was laying across his path. He stopped his truck and got out to find that a beaver was at one end of the tree, trying to drag it across. Gord lent a hand and picked up the other end and they walked it across together. He swears that beaver looked back over his shoulder and gave him a wink in thanks.

After reading your post yesterday, Jonathan and I decided to take the twins down to watch the action at the dam. What a unique experience. It wasn't just the novelty of seeing some action in a sometimes sleepy town. It was the magic of seeing so much life in one place. The writhing mass of huge fish, that you wouldn't normally see in waters so close to Toronto- all struggling to achieve their last goal of their journey. So many volunteers of all ages, giving up their time to help them along. It's such a beautiful thing to see men caring for other creatures, especially knowing most of these men/volunteers and fishermen have likely been their predators at another time. Just amazing.

David Mundy said...

Why did the turtle cross the road? We will ponder that pressing philosophical question another time. Well done Roger. Is there a patron saint of turtles? We may have to canonize you.

It's heartwarming to see a number of responses and to know that some of you have gone to view, even reluctantly.