Monday, September 24, 2012

Paying Attention

I am back from a five kilometre walk around Second Marsh in Oshawa. It takes me down the dike to the west, along the beach, and back through some open fields, then woods. At this time of year the native cattails and invasive elephant grass can make it difficult to see the water.

I came to a vantage point at the moment a kingfisher was hovering high over the water before a plunge, a northern harrier (marsh hawk) glided by at eye level on silent wings, and a blue heron was poised intently in the marsh. It was a remarkable confluence of concentrating creatures, all incredible focussed on feeding. While I had my camera, this was not an occurrence I could capture except in my own awareness. The image below is by someone named Ralph Hocken.

I don't find it easy to be attentive this days. The expectations and distractions are manifold, and it is not unusual to get to the end of a day without any real stillpoint. I think it is poet Mary Oliver who offers that attention is a form of prayer, but she isn't the first. The mystics of different religions, including Christianity, have all known this and devoted themselves to this spiritual practice of attention.

Are you able to find the stillpoints in your life? Do you think we are becoming increasingly distracted by the "smart" devices that can't make us wise? Any attentive moments for you lately?

7 comments:

Laurie said...

Stillpoint today was driving around Connemara, long vistas across the bogs, surprising coves with huge ocean waves, very few people seen all day. My partner and I drove in silence, stopping every so often for little walks, a very peaceful, wonderful day. Now we are off to the pub for some Irish music and a pint!

dmy said...

It was a busy weekend at our house with family visiting but with all the hustle and bustle I found the stillpoint(s) early in the morning when I had my new grandson all to myself. I gazed at his tiny sleeping face as I held him close and gave thanks again for his safe arrival and prayed for all children in God's care.

roger said...

I am making a concerted effort to be less tied to my "devices", such as cell phone and laptop. I have purposely set my cell on silent, so that I am not instantly reacting to a ring or a vibration. Who cares if I don't see a text msg for a few hours.

Work has been incredibly busy for the last month, with travel just being ridiculous. I try to make sure I have a few moments a day to unwind. I try to spend some time on one of my hobbies each day. Life is too short to not smell the roses.

Read4ever365 said...

This morning on my walk I noticed the sound of the water in the creek and realized I must have slept though some rain last night. I was thankful to really hear the water trickling over the rocks. Better than the Solitudes tape I had in the 90's!

A few days ago I had an incredibly peaceful moment as I walked along a quiet tree-lined street. Morning sun and dew were making the leaves sparkle. As I paused to soak it all in a bird cried out and flew off.....then a feather came circling down ever so slowly and landed just in front of me.

That feather is beside me now....reminding me to sign off the computer so I can be well rested for tomorrow's walk. Good night!

Brenda

Nancy said...

I try to "pay attention" regularly. Last night it was the colour of the clouds as I drove to yoga class. This morning was drinking my coffee and watching the chickadees outside our window as they fluttered about keeping warm!

Laura said...

I am not as attentive as I would like to be about much...the moment that comes to mind most days though is holding my Mom's hand..Mom lives with Alzheimer's and not that long ago, I noticed that holding her hand as we visited increased her awareness/attention and did the same for me...moments of deeper connection, often no need for words...just peace-filled attention.

David Mundy said...

I appreciated all of these offerings -- so thoughtful! I have read them all twice and hope others have as well.