Sunday, September 16, 2012

Rivers of Life?

Today is the second Sunday in Creation Time and we will be pondering water as a practical and sacred presence in our lives. Water is holy and sacramental in most religions, a recognition that it is a precious gift from God. I will begin my sermon by speaking about the Jordan river, which has become essentially an open sewer by the time it reaches the place where Jesus was baptized. As it enters the Dead Sea it is at about two percent of its natural flow.

Earlier last week photos emerged from China of the Yangtze river which has turned mysteriously red, as you can see above. While there is a biblical overtone to the story, it is likely the result of industrial pollution whose source has yet to be discovered. This happened overnight and scientists are baffled.

 Why is it that when we know water is essential to our existence we are so reckless in the way we treat it. We may think we are better at protecting our waters but our daughter-in-law is a freshwater ecologist looking at the quality of the water flowing out of a Unesco biosphere reserve called Mont St. Hilaire in Quebec. Eventually these pristine streams flow into the Richilieu river which is one of the most polluted in Canada.

I will also tell the congregation that efforts are being made in communities along the lower Jordan to restore the river, even though it is a huge challenge. Change can happen, person by person.

Could you name the watershed we are a part of in Bowmanville, or where you live? Do you know the source of your drinking water? Would you drink directly from any stream or lake where you are? Any other observations or comments?

2 comments:

IanD said...

I remember those times during my childhood where I'd simply graft my face to the garden hose for a drink. Now? If my kids ever did that?! I'd lose my marbles.

Times have changed!

Laurie said...

The head waters of the Pigeon River is right by our place, the Pigeoon River runs through our property. Our water comes from a well, and yes I would drink from the river. It is tested every year and it is still pure! Right now I am in the north of England and there is a lot of water around, people are making jokes about building arks.