Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Time for Everything

South Africa and the rest of the world watches and waits as the life of one of the great figures of the 20th century ebbs away. Nelson Mandela is in his 90's and he has been hospitalized several times.  Virtually everyone is reconciled to his imminent death and even those who love him greatly agree "it is time."

Here in Bowmanville I discovered that an elderly member living with cancer died this week. She hoped I would still be the St. Paul's minister when her time came, but someone they respected will preside at her service. Marg would tell me that she had a full and meaningful life, married for more than sixty years. Her family has been very attentive, one daughter taking a leave of absence to provide care. It was her time.

Ecclesiastes tells us that there is a time and season for everything, including death. I have certainly come to this conclusion in pastoral care. Would you agree.? Have you gone through this? Is it important for Christian communities to be honest in the way in provides end-of-life support?

Sorry about the lack of a photo or any spelling errors. I am posting from my phone!

2 comments:

Judy said...

Yes, it is very important to provide this kind of support - my church family and our minister of visitation, Rev. Vicki Fulcher, was invaluable when my sister was dying in KGH a few years ago - her support to both my sister and me was so much appreciated, along with that of our lead minister at the time. I would have been a basket case without that! And I know others who have benefitted greatly from this ministry, as well.

Laura said...

Yes, death is part of life and living, especially when a period of declining health precedes.
Your leadership at St Paul's offered many encouragements to consider death as part of living, and life's plans.
You had several conversations with my Dad that helped him think and talk about his own end without too much discomfort. Although he had many ups and downs in recent years with health, his death was still "sudden", without time to complete last minute plans of things he wanted to say and do....but they were mostly done,thankfully.
As I sit with a friend still struggling with the death of parents years later, and try and gently encourage another seventy-something family member to let her final wishes be known, I am ever grateful for the presence,care and leadership of a faith family to provide the backstory to frame our own authentic story of life and death...and life beyond death.