Sunday, June 30, 2013

Moving Grace

I am outside on our deck this sabbath morning. It is very early and the sun has yet to rise but there is a chorus of birds and very little else in the way of sound. I'm thinking of the crew who facilitated our move over the past three days, the two women packers for our breakable and the total of seven men who schlepped our stuff out of one house and into another.

They were all "diamond in the rough" types who looked as though life has been less than kind at times. They worked extraordinarily hard and did so with amazing patience and cheerfulness. They knew I was a "man of the cloth" and a couple of them joked about me praying that they be delivered from their smoking habits - every one of the nine was a smoker! One guy liked my cross tattoo and showed me the cross and rosary tat in memory of his mom. Two of them mentioned that they given up drinking, one on the request of his young sons. I didn't want to ask too much. It's interesting how ministry can happen in unlikely places. And we received their hard-working grace.

Thank you God for the ways you are at work in the world.

Thoughts?

4 comments:

Judy said...

I am constantly surprised by the ways in which grace is shown to me - and through whom! Quite often not the ones in whom I would expect to see it! We should always keep our hearts and minds open to the possibilities of what the Spirit will do - and how !

ECB said...


David, wishing you and Ruth much
happiness in your new Home and to hope that all the things you are planning work out as you hope.

God bless!

Laura said...

Thanks for sharing these stories...as Judy commented, an open mind and heart invite many surprising moments of grace into life.

David Mundy said...

Thanks for your comments all. Our home s really taking shape and we may soon be able to just sit and savour.