Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Stuff!



On Sunday I preached from the text above about not storing up treasures here on earth, on being generous, and keeping our spiritual priorities straight. In the afternoon we drove to Bowmanville to pack for our upcoming move. As we created more and more bags of stuff to be hauled to the curb, as well as transporting a vehicle-load of this-and-that to Bibles for Missions I was just a tad embarrassed. How do we accumulate so much! This time around, post-kids-at-home, we are being more thorough in our sorting and disposal, and by "we" I mean Ruth. She sorts, I haul. Yet there is still so much to move to our new home.

I don't want to be defined by our stuff, but I have to be honest and admit that it's hard to relinquish books, even though we have given away hundreds this time. The art on our walls is an expression of who we are as well, so it will travel with us.

It is strange though. We have done just fine in a modest two-bedroom apartment for a couple of months, even though the bathroom gives me claustrophobia. Our small abode would be luxurious for millions of the world's peoples. Now we will move into a spacious home with a double garage.

So, God help us pare down, pare down, pare down. Help us be satisfied with what we have, and less.

How are you with stuff? Can you let it go, or just not accumulate it in the first place? Should we all be required to move every five years to keep us honest about what we need and don't need.

Take a look at my Groundling blog while you're at it!
http://groundlingearthyheavenly.blogspot.ca/2013/06/burn-it-up.html

3 comments:

Judy said...

I can identify with that easily! My curb has been loaded with "stuff" a few times, in recent weeks, and many car loads of "stuff" has been taken to various charitable organizations, and sons' homes, and friends' homes, where the stuff will be more useful - and used! My shredder has been overworked, in the attempt to get rid of very old papers and bills, etc. It is a lot of work, and I have been wishing that I had started a lot earlier! There is still more "stuff" to let go of, as well, in anticipation of a sale of the house and a move!

Not Alone said...

After several purges I am down to minimal stuff...and it feels good. I love the Bible verse that I recall you preaching on in Bowmanville...the text and artwork adorn my netbook...a constant reminder to think of the real treasures and open my heart to them!

David Mundy said...

Yes Judy, we seem to be similar "letting go" modes these days. Gratifying and a little unnerving!

Good to hear from you Karen. I was wondering about you the other day, and here you are!