Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Free


You have to be impressed by the video issued this week by the three women held in brutal captivity by a monstrous man in Cleveland, Ohio until their escape a few months ago..In the video all three of them thanked those who have supported them since their release, including contributors to a fund to assist them which now tops a million dollars. They assured  people that they are rebuilding their lives with their families. One tells us that she will not be defined by what happened. In other words, she will not be held captive by the pain and suffering of those unimaginable years.

In my ministry I have listened to so many stories of loss and disappointment and heartache, often with no idea that the individuals had lived through so much until they shared with me. Some were deeply damaged by their experiences and seemed unconvinced that they could recover. I certainly understand why, yet they have often seemed like prisoners who needed to be liberated. I wondered if they might ever be free.

Others were remarkable "overcomers" who had faced circumstances which would surely crush any human spirit, and yet they found a way forward. Often their Christian faith was central to their recovery and a return of hope.

Did you take a look at the video? I pray that these three remarkable young women continue to heal, and that God can be part of their recovery. Have you known individuals who were able to overcome profoundly difficult situations, or left this life with dignity and grace? Have you found strength you didn't know you possessed?





1 comment:

IanD said...

I saw the bulk of this interview segment on CNN one morning while on the treadmill, and I've got to say it brought a smile to my face and put a spring in my step.

What's with these dudes to perpetrate these kinds of things? Is engineering this kind of "life heist" the only way they can feel powerful, or ... whatever?!

I just don't get it.