Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Strength From the Sacred

Yesterday I listened to residents of the Siksika First Nation in Alberta speaking about the flood devastation in their community. I was struck by the determination and the spirituality of those interviewed. They were open in referring to God and the importance of prayer as they pondered the loss of virtually everything.

One man spoke about the sacred bundles of eagle feathers which date back through generations of the community. They represent their spiritual culture in a way we might think of a historic bible or cross. Going through such life-altering circumstances pushes people to consider what really matters in life, and what resources we draw on when most of our reference points for meaning are swept away.

How important would your faith be in the midst of loss? Would you turn to God, or away, in anger?

2 comments:

IanD said...

I imagine I would oscillate between the two: anger and coming back for help.

Judy said...

I'm with Ian, having been there, done that - extreme anger, and total lack of understanding, "WHY?" ... and then total dependence on the grace of the Almighty to see me through! Falling back on all of the Scriptures and hymns that gave me hope .