Tuesday, August 06, 2013

The Dog Wags the Human


I have written several times about the importance of treating animals other than humans with respect, whether they are in the wild, the ones we eventually consume or the ones we decide are companions or pets. But is it possible to lose our perspective about those pets, creatures such as dogs who were originally brought into our encampments to serve and who don't have a sense of their own mortality?

There was an excellent article in the weekend Globe and Mail about this. It reminded us that we spend billions on our pets in North America, for everything from goofy little outfits to expensive medical treatment. A woman from Newfoundland has spent $30,000 on chemotherapy for her pooch, flying to Ontario for the best treatment. Some of the fawning (pun intended) over our pets is just silly in the form of pet accessories and treats. The medical treatment may seem to be compassionate, but what are the limits to intervention in a world where tens of thousands of humans suffer and die from malnutrition and lack of adequate healthcare?

When I was at the Taize Christian community in France some years ago I had a phone conversation with Ruth, my wife, about treatment for our cat. She had already spent hundreds of dollars and was uncertain about spending more on a very sick animal. I encouraged her to use her best judgement and she went one step further in kitty care. I returned to a recovering cat who lived for another seven years. But I would have understood if she had him euthanized and we were grateful when his time finally came that our veterinarian was compassionate but frank about further treatment for an aged animal with cancer.

Is it unethical for us to act as though our companion animals are human and spend like crazy on their pampering and care? Is it unfaithful to do so? Are they our pets, or we theirs?

4 comments:

Judy said...

I think when we take animals out of the wild, and domesticate them for our pleasure, for companionship, for service, or just for "entertainment", etc., we have a responsibility to do extra things for their welfare - but there comes a time when we can overdo it, and prolong life beyond what is natural or good for all concerned - however, having loved a pound adoptee for 9 years, I also know how difficult it is to say good bye, and to be the one that makes the decision that it is "time" ... our pets do become family , and give much to us.

*We can also support programs that help people in parts of the world that are suffering - many opportunities are available for that important ministry.

roger said...

Pets definitely are family, and for some people, their only companionship.

Being an animal lover, I hate the idea of any creature being mistreated. I buy my eggs from a local farmer whose hens really have it good, and try to buy my meat from him too.

It saddens me to pass a truck on the highway in which there are dozens of pigs or cows crammed into a trailer. They deserve better.

Lynnof60 said...

We have had this conversation recently in our house. The "when is enough enough". We are a family of dog lovers. Two weeks ago our beautiful golden retriever Petula suffered a stroke. I was the only one home with her and I was pretty sure it was the end. I called my husband and he came home and carried her out to the car and back to work (work being an Animal Hospital and he being a Veterinarian) I said a silent goodbye to her as they left. A few house later he brought her home and laid her on her bed in our family room. He had sedated her so she didn't really know what was going on. He just kept saying "give it time" I knew the decision had to be his as she has been his dog for 14 years (by the way that's about 2 years after her "best before date") I saw him carry her down the stairs and prop her up against him to do her 'stuff'. I saw her tail wag on day two - a little wag but a wag nonetheless. I watched her slowly regain her strength, her faculties, her ability to roll in the grass (this seemed to cause her great frustration as she wanted to but just couldn't figure out how to get her body to do it - she persevered!).
She is now back to almost normal - a little head tilt - a little difficulty judging distances - but pretty darn normal.
Throughout the ordeal I would just say "you must leave her her dignity".
The human/animal bond is very powerful. Sometimes more powerful than the human/human bond. How much money is too much money? How much bling is too much bling? It's all in the eye of the beholder.
Unethical? Unfaithful? Nope - just love.

“Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms”
George Eliot

David Mundy said...

As always, thoughtful answers. Thank you all. I am a member of Petula's fan club, so I hope her recovery continues.

I hope we can all ponder the ethical question of "enough," and also ask how we got to the point where there is a lucrative industry to feed our pet fetishes. Have you seen some of the stuff on offer at Woofstock? Sumpin ain't right here.