Saturday, September 21, 2013

Resurrection Hope



There is a first time for everything in ministry, even in my 34th year in this vocation. Today at 11:00 AM there will be simultaneous services for two Bridge St. members. My partner in ministry. Rev. Vicki Fulcher, will be at an off-site location while I preside at a memorial service in our chapel. Both of the individuals who will be remembered and mourned tomorrow were elderly and in seriously compromised health for a while before death. The word "release" comes to mind, although the elderly man was very supportive of his wife who has Alzheimer's disease.

Both were loved and respected by family and friends. In one of those "it's a small world" situations I spoke with two former self-described Belleville girls (they are both in their eighties!) who knew the man who died quite well from an earlier time in their lives. He was an accomplished potter and one of the two has a number of his pieces still. She wondered about making the trip from Bowmanville for the service. The other person was in her late nineties and I have been so struck by the respectful, grateful love of her children, who of course are not kids. Even though she was denied the opportunity for education she nurtured it in her five children. Four have PhDs and one has an MA. I wish I had known her.

Once again I have turned to the painting by Gary Crawford used to illustrate the affirmation in one of our statements of faith, "in life, in death, in life beyond death, God is with us, we are not alone, thanks be to God." I'm doing my best to rehabilitate Gary's image now that he has painted Mayor Rob Ford's portrait!

In both these services we will express our gratitude for lives lived well and affirm our resurrection hop(e).

Some of you have gone through the loss of loved ones and funerals lately? Any thoughts or observations?

Please follow the link to my Groundling blog today http://groundlingearthyheavenly.blogspot.ca/2013/09/rivers-of-life.html

3 comments:

Judy said...

I did not know the elderly lady in our congregation well, but I taught with the gentleman who will be remembered today - next door to each other for about 20 years - he was a fantastic mentor to a new teacher, and a constant support, as well as a very gifted artist, musician, potter, leader, with a great sense of humour and sharp wit, and the epitome of kindness. I have watched the decline in health in both him and his wife (a fun loving pair, admired by all) from a distance - because of their comfort level - and admired him even more for his constant care of his life partner . Sad, indeed, to say good - bye to this gentleman. I will definitely be standing in the rain this morning to "pay my respects" to Ken.

Laura said...

Have thought more often and deeply about "heaven" recently then anytime in my life. I guess it might be fairly natural when loss hits close to home and heart.
Interesting you mention the "resurection hop", I know you meant hope but I had a thought this week of my Dad, who hadn't walked well in years walking lightly and easily in the afterlife, truly released....I will now think of it as his resurrection hop...and smile.

David Mundy said...

Thanks for the heads up on hop Laura. I corrected it in brackets because I like hop as well! Today I invited the small congregation to imagine the elderly woman we were remembering with restored sight and hearing and memory.

I must say Judy, that as the rain teemed on the chapel roof I was glad not to be in the cemetery. Still, it was good that Ken was remembered by those who knew him.