Monday, October 21, 2013

Life is Short, so make it Sweet


On Friday morning the weather cooperated splendidly for a graveside service for one of our oldest members. I met Alexandria just once and when I asked her age she was off by more than a decade. It may have been intentional because it turned out she was adamant that her age not be mentioned in the death notice, nor at the service. I will tell you that the century mark wasn't far off.

Although Alex had dementia she was wonderfully welcoming when I went to see her. In fact, during the course of our visit she enthusiastically welcomed me at least four times. She really was sweet and at the end of our time together she positively beamed when I prayed with her. Alex was a person of great faith who loved God and the Bridge St. congregation, where she a member for sixty years.

In preparation for the service I went through a very old lined book with a crumbling binding. It was filled with sayings, aphorisms, prayers, "thoughts for the day" which she had written out in a clear long-hand. One that delighted me was written on the flip side of a flyer for the grand opening of a Goodwill store. Actually, on the side with the ad she had written "life is short, and it's up to us to make it sweet." On the blank side are with a series of "call and response sayings such as "You say 'I feel all alone.' God says: 'I will never leave you or forsake you.'" Hebrews 13:5. The whole book is infused with gratitude, joy of living, spiritual comfort. It was a gift to read through it.

At the cemetery there were only fourteen people present. Alex never married so her attentive cousin and her family members were there. A silver-haired lawyer from town showed up at the last minute and told us that Alex had been his teacher in grade school and he had stayed in touch through the years. Half a dozen souls from the congregation, including her pastoral visitor and UCW members were on hand as well.

We didn't have a long service, because that is what Alex specified, but it was very meaningful from my standpoint. God bless those who honour the lives of those who have slipped out of the public eye for a variety of reasons. God bless Alexandria for her faithful witness.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Judy said...

It is good to be able to leave this life feeling blessed. Alex was one of those folk.

Laura said...

To live such a long and seemingly well-examined life is enough....it sounds like she leaves this world with a quiet confidence...perhaps much like she lived. Thanks for sharing her.....
My 10 year loves to search for quotes online....and tells me when she is angry or upset, her findings are comforting. I imagine Alexandria's notebook of collected wisdom was comforting to her through life's challenges. Makes me wonder if she started collecting when she was very young too.