Monday, December 09, 2013

Whatsoever You Do

T

Two weekends ago a statue entitled Whatsoever You Do by Timothy Schmalz was stolen from outside a Toronto church. Fortunately is has reappeared just as mysteriously. “We are very happy,” Rev. Maggie Helwig said. “I’m glad that whoever took it did the right thing in the end and it’s wonderful that he’s back.” The "he" is Jesus in the guise of a street person with hand outstretched Two women noticed the returned statue at the back of the church and informed one of the parishioners. The parishioner found a note alongside the statue, which would have been returned sometime over night“It rained last night so it is a bit hard to make out but it looks like it says ‘I’m sorry, it seemed like a good idea at the time,’ ” Helwig said.

The title comes from the passage in Matthew 25:

“Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?” Then he will answer them, “Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.”

As offensive as it may seem that this sculpture was stolen, perhaps it is more of an offense that so many live on the margins in our society. We have a street person who is regularly pan-handling downtown and makes regular visits to Bridge St Church, sometimes to use a bathroom and often to ask for help. When she is seated on the street she looks a lot like this sculpture. We do assist her with money, although not always. Sometimes she's grateful, and sometimes not. I'm not sure that I have ever thought of her as Jesus to be honest.

What are your thoughts about seeing Jesus in the poor and marginalized? Honestly, is that the first thing that comes to mind? Do you ever help out?

 
 

1 comment:

roger said...

I have to be completely honest here. In many cases, when I see an able-bodied person asking for money on the street, it irks me. I often think that person could be doing something - anything - to earn his or her own living.

I was speaking to a director of a major company recently, who said there are so many unskilled positions that cannot be filled these days in his company because nobody wants to do them.

I understand many people on the street have mental or physical disabilities. I'm not referring to them. I have all the sympathy in the world in those cases.