Thursday, March 20, 2014

Everybody Happy?



Happy are those
   who do not follow the advice of the wicked,
or take the path that sinners tread,
   or sit in the seat of scoffers;
but their delight is in the law of the Lord,
   and on his law they meditate day and night.
They are like trees
   planted by streams of water,
which yield their fruit in its season,
   and their leaves do not wither.
In all that they do, they prosper.
  Psalm 1


Happy Spring! What Spring you might ask on this rather dreary day with plenty of snow still covering the ground in this neck of the woods. Why would a day like this make us happy? Well, as I lay in bed this morning convincing myself that my cold isn't as bad as it feels I heard robins singing in the bare branches of the tree outside our window. That did lift my spirits.

This first day of Spring in the Northern Hemisphere is also the United Nations International Day of Happiness. The UN seems to have a day for everything, but it is good to consider happiness from time to time. The singer Pharrell Williams has been recruited to be a spokesperson because of his song Happy, which is really...happy. http://www.complexmag.ca/music/2013/11/pharrell-happy-video

I used to think happiness wasn't really a biblical concept. The focus is really on joy and shalom, an abiding peace. But happiness is mentioned in scripture fairly often, most notably as the first word of the psalms. As you might imagine, biblical happiness is not winning the lottery or becoming famous. It is sending down roots into the way of God, which is not dependent on fame or fortune.

I like too that the nation of Bhutan has developed a Gross Happiness Index with 9 Domains to measure wellbeing.

Are you happy today? What impedes your happiness? Are you happier when you are aware of God in your life and the blessings of day to day?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

There isn't enough room here to list all the reasons I have to be happy (ands, no, my house has not been sold yet...) God is very good and I am very blessed!

roger said...

I am happy, although sometimes it takes work. I have to continually remind myself of what I do have in my life, as opposed to what I don't have.

I have decided to return to cross country skiing next winter(after many years!), as I don't think hibernating for the winter months was good for me. It's amazing how getting out into the woods and nature is so uplifting.

David Mundy said...

Thanks to both of you. We got out on our skis several times this winter. We just walked to the end of our street and took off down a trail that ends in a swamp in the warmer months. We were able to go on across several farmers' fields. It definitely made us happy.