Monday, September 15, 2014

Blessings, not Burdens

Embedded image permalink

A Bridge St. mother of three children with Down Syndrome passed on a newspaper clipping to me with the comment "I'm glad that this hasn't been our experience here." It was about a priest who suggested to a mother of an autistic child that it wasn't appropriate for them to come to worship and cause a disruption.

I have served in congregations where there have been children who don't fit what some folk figure are the norms of good behavior for church, whatever that means. If anyone understands the importance of decorum in worship it is the worship leader. Worship and "junior church" are group activities, and entering the holy often involves silence. but as the years have gone by I have changed my own outlook about who is a blessing rather than a burden. The truth is that while children with challenges such as autism and Asperger's can be disruptive, so can children who have no identifiable or diagnosed conditions and who are well aware of what they are doing.

We are learning that there are alternatives to the "eviction notice" approach, or the shunning and critical comments of another day. Recently I heard that a congregation I served has set up a rotation of four adults who work through the Sunday lesson one-on-one with a teen with Asperger's. She is a smart young woman who doesn't always do well in groups. This arrangement gives her an opportunity to be included, to feel important, and to grow in faith. I was so glad to hear that this has happened.

Not all congregations have the human resources to do this, but all can be compassionate and exhibit the love of Christ. One of the three kids with Down gave me the laugh of my summer, although not her parents. One Sunday morning she was annoyed that her breakfast wasn't there when she expected it, so she dialled 911!

All three were in church Sunday, and all three made my day by giving me a hug before worship. We were all blessed by their presence.

Comments?

No comments: