Friday, September 05, 2014

Pastors & Prayers


I visited a colleague in hospital recently because I knew she was there and I was in the facility to visit one of the Bridge St UC flock. I had been told that she had been hospitalized for a number of weeks and while I don't know her well I figured I could stop by and say hello.

It turns out we have a fair amount in common in terms of length of ministry and that both of us had settlement charges in Newfoundland. I thought this would be a few minutes of "hi, hope you're recovering, see ya." Instead I was there for an hour, and while I offered support and concern for her in this extended health challenge, I benefitted from the conversation. She is a brave person who is handling this setback with resolve and I admire her.

At the conclusion I took the plunge and offered to pray, which she accepted. Praying with other ministers, one-on-one, is a bit awkward, believe it or not. We are nearly always the pray-ers rather that than the pray-ees, and it feels a bit presumptuous to invite a colleague into prayer. But as I did I was aware of asking God to be present with a human being who needs God's comfort and courage.

As clergy we can often feel alone. After all, who is the pastor's pastor? Who prays for and with us?  This person is in a ministry where she has a caring minister, so I'm not usurping that role! Yet prayer is important from my perspective.  I have plunged in and prayed with colleagues a number of times through the years and while I always wonder whether I should, eventually I'm glad I did. On one occasion I spontaneously invited a small group of clergy to gather around a colleague going through a tough time and we laid on hands and prayed. I was wracked with doubt immediately -how un-United Church! I actually apologized, but he told me that it had meant a lot.

Does it occur to you that your minister needs and wants your prayers? Was it presumptuous of me to offer to pray the other day?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If pastors cannot pray for and with each other, who can? Definitely not presumptuous - necessary, I think. The practical gift of your time in conversation is also really good...just sayin'

Frank said...

I have often lamented "who cares for the care givers?"
It's a pretty sad situation if clergy have very limited access to others to "lean on"