Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Rumours of Glory & a Christian Past




Above the dark town
After the sun's gone down
Two vapour trails cross the sky
Catching the day's last slow goodbye
Black skyline looks rich as velvet
Something is shining
Like gold but better
Rumours of glory


I listened to an interview with Canadian musician Bruce Cockburn not once but twice yesterday. I did so intentionally the first time, in a podcast, and the second time as CBC radio background while I attended to tasks. He has published a new biographer at the age of 69, although calling him venerable might not fit since he is dad to a three-year-old.

We have been listening to Cockburn's music for the better part of forty years, maybe more. My wife Ruth has always been the bigger fan, his folk flavour at odds with my rock inclinations in those early years of our relationship. Still, I have always been impressed by his poetic lyrics, his passion for social justice, and his excellent guitar-playing. I'm trying to recall whether I have seen him in concert four or five times. A couple were at Massey Hall, once in Guelph, in Sudbury, and...maybe Kingston. And he once showed up at a coffee house where my sister-in-law Martha was singing. Two or her band members were part of Cockburn's band through the years. We all tried to act as though we didn't notice him walk in.

Young and earnest in the late 60"s, we were intrigued, even excited that Cockburn became a Christian, around the time of his marriage to his first wife, Kitty. In the interview he talks about having an experience of the presence of someone, something, the day of his wedding, and he assumed this was Jesus. He had an even more profound experience later, while in Stockholm, with her. He eventually grew weary of the Christian right, and the assumptions people made about him because of his profession of faith. Today he is part of the mighty ranks of the "spiritual but not religious." He still speaks of God, but in much broader or vaguer terms, depending on your perspective.

There are some of those sweet, folky tunes such as All The Diamonds which still make me a bit nostalgic. If I Had a Rocket Launcher was a visceral, angry song which made a lot of sense to me, even as it disturbed me. Cockburn's later stuff hasn't had the same appeal, but that's okay.

Anyone out there who was/is a Cockburn fan? Do you remember his Christian days, or was that not really part of the appeal of his music?

3 comments:

David Smith said...

I have followed his music for about 35 years . As my faith has changed and matured I have found in Cockburn's journey, expressed in his lyrics, to provide on-going inspiration, resonance and challenge.

I love the way he combines spiritual, political and sexual imagery, with great honesty.

Some of his lyrics have an important place in my heart, it's difficult to pick one or two, but at various times the lines "hanging to this high wire/ by the tatters of my faith" have meant a lot.

I find it often takes up to 10 years before an album really matures and I can assess what it means to me, hence its hard to reach a view on the more recent stuff.

David Mundy said...

Well said David, and I like your quote of Cockburn lyrics. He would probably enjoy your "aging wine" observation about his albums.

Laura said...

Haven't followed him closely but always appreciated his lyrics. Was reminded of Cry of a Tiny Babe as I was looking for creative ways to explore Christmas with the youth.