Friday, January 23, 2015

Thou Shalt Not Yik Yak



Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
                                                  The Ten Commandments

21 “You have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, ‘You shall not murder’; and ‘whoever murders shall be liable to judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that if you are angry with a brother or sister, you will be liable to judgment; and if you insult[ a brother or sister, you will be liable to the council; and if you say, ‘You fool,’ you will be liable to the hell of fire.
                                                        Serm on on the Mount  -- Jesus of Nazareth


Some of you will remember that at the last General Council of the United Church in 2012 there was a resolution regarding gossip and its corrosive effects on individuals and Christian congregations. It got a lot of press coverage, although lots of people including members of my congregation at that time wondered if this was a serious discussion. It was, and I wrote a blog around that time in which I named how destructive gossip has been in churches.

I thought of this when I read about the concerns regarding a new phone app called Yik Yak. This is an anonymous (first flag) messaging venue in which unregulated information can be shared. That anonymity has had serious consequences. It has resulted in bomb scares at a number of schools and universities. It has also provided the opportunity for online character assassination. While we use terms such as cyber-bullying, this is gossip and bearing false witness and it is terribly destructive. Some school boards are now warning parents about Yik Yak and others are finding ways to block it on school property

The resolution from General Council was no joke. This is serious stuff, whatever labels we attach to it. Whether it is "old-school" or high-tech, gossip is wrong and painful and a sin. Here is an anonymous (wouldn't you know) reflection on gossip.

My Name Is Gossip. I have no respect for justice. I maim without killing. I break hearts and ruin lives. I am cunning and malicious and gather strength with age.
The more I am quoted the more I am believed. I flourish at every level of society. My victims are helpless. They cannot protect themselves against me because I have no name and no face.
To track me down is impossible. The harder you try, the more elusive I become. I am nobody's friend. Once I tarnish a reputation, it is never the same. I topple governments and ruin marriages. I ruin careers and cause sleepless nights, heartache and indigestion. I spawn suspicion and generate grief.
I make innocent people cry in their pillows. Even my name hisses.

Are you inclined to gossip? Have you been the subject of gossip, or have those you love been affected? Have you experienced it in your congregation?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nobody likes to think" Gee, I gossip..." but I think we all do, to a point - most of us (Christians) don't intend to harm anyone when we repeat things we hear ... but we do need to be careful about things we tell ... I have learned to say "That isn't my story to tell" when I have information and I know someone is fishing for gossip... and, I am not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but for years now, I have discovered that I am the last person in a group to hear gossip, or even just "news", good or bad... I'd like to think it is a good thing.