Friday, February 27, 2015

The Ugly Truth of War


You may have noticed that the film which has grossed as much money as the other seven in the top film category at the Oscars was virtually shut out from awards. Phew. Some pundits thought that American Sniper might pull off upsets as best picture and best actor, but it didn't happen.

I have seen six of the eight nominees for best film and I want to see Whiplash as well. I will not watch American Sniper because it glorifies and remakes the image of Navy Seal sniper Chris Kyle. Critics argue that Clint Eastwood's film portrays Kyle as a more complex and conflicted individual than he does himself in his biography. Not only that, the film creates situations which did not occur in real life for the sake of drama.

What I find so disturbing is America's addiction to war, and the desire to create heroes out of the grim and questionable realities of combat. Kyle was credited with more than 160 sniper kills, but was sure that he had success on more than 200 occasions. I have read pieces written by folk who glorify Kyle and claim they would like their children to grow up with his values. Really? Those who have called into question the morality of Kyle and what he represents have experienced threats and vilification.

I find it unsettling as well that Chris Kyle saw himself as a Christian and didn't experience any conflict between his role as a killer and the gospel of Christ, who chose the way of peace:

“I don’t spend a lot of time philosophizing about killing people. I have a clear conscience about my role in the war. I am a strong Christian. Not a perfect one — not close. But I strongly believe in God, Jesus, and the Bible. When I die, God is going to hold me accountable for everything I’ve done on earth. He may hold me back until last and run everybody else through the line, because it will take so long to go over all my sins.”

Well, he may have been in for a surprise. Sadly, Chris Kyle was shot and killed by another US veteran, but not until they were supposedly safely home. Kyle was attempting to help his murderer who was suffering from mental health issues. The shooter was convicted of murder this past week.

Will you see the film, or have you? Do any of you have a clearer picture than I do of why a nation that prides itself on being religious seems to glorify war?

3 comments:

roger said...

I have yet to see the movie, and I'm conflicted about whether to see it or not - for the exact reasons you stated.

Eastwood has done many fine movies - Hereafter being one of my favourites - but I'm not sure I like some of his views, and I still can't forget his pathetic "skit" at the Republican convention, where he was speaking to an empty chair(pretending Obama was there).

There are too many other movies to see. I don't think American Sniper is in my crosshairs.

Unknown said...

No, I will not see it - I find the American glorification of arms in general very distasteful, and war - mongering a heinous situation.

Laurie said...

Saw the movie. I don't walk out of many films(3 I know of). But I did walk out of this movie.I don't like war and this movie was so pro war, it was so bad to watch. Eastwood is a great director but he does not deliver in this movie. American prowar sentiments, bad movie, don't waste your money on it.