Saturday, February 14, 2015

Transparently


At the Golden Globe awards this year the TV program Transparent won for best comedy or musical and best actor. Jeffrey Tambor was the award-winner for his portrayal of a father of three, a patriarch named Mort, who becomes a matriarch named Maura. Tambor is a funny guy but he is not just playing this role for laughs, and while I haven't seen any episodes he is apparently brilliant in this role.

If you saw Dallas Buyer's Club you know that Jared Leto was powerful in his portrayal of a transgendered person, and won an Academy Award. It's interesting that neither Tambor nor Leto are transgender but both these roles have been breakthroughs of understanding and acceptance.

In my last two congregations there have been transgendered persons. I have written about the girl who went to Sunday School in the church and returned as a young man twenty years later, unbeknownst to anyone. He was quite patient with me as we talked together about his journey and I was glad to be of support. I became aware of his desire to be true to himself, even if it meant misunderstanding and rejection. I was also rather befuddled, I must admit. I really don't get transgender, but here's the thing -- that's my problem.

Over the years I have come to realize that just because I don't get something it doesn't mean that it is wrong or abnormal or immoral. Unfortunately censure has been far too common in communities of faith. I have been part of that in the past, as many of us have. I'm not suggesting that I don't have a responsibility to exercise discernment. I just want to live the love of Christ for others as openly as I can and be careful about judgment and rejection. The United Church has been at the forefront of inviting understanding and acceptance for the T (transgender) in LGBTQ.


Has anyone seen Transparent? Would you be interested in watching the show?(I am) Have you altered outlooks and attitudes over time, even in circumstances you don't really understand?

No comments: