Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Underwater Silence and Solitude


Okay, don't hate me, but I am back at work after a week in Cuba. We haven't had a winter vacation in several years and really looked forward to it. We couldn't have known that it would be the perfect week to get away. Judging from the excavation of our vehicle at the Park-N-Fly and the volume of snow in our yard this was a memorable week in Southern Ontario for all the wrong reasons, at least when it comes to shoveling and driving!

We stayed in a resort near Holguin in the west of the island, on the north shore. We chose this spot because of the snorkeling right off the beach. Cuba's reefs are healthier than most in the Caribbean because it is not a developed nation and the pollution levels which affect coral are lower.

The promise of excellent snorkeling were fulfilled and we explored the warm waters several times. One morning we got out early, so the visibility was excellent and we were virtually alone. We figured that there were fifteen to twenty species of fish and a variety of corals including staghorn, elkhorn, fan, and brain varieties. It is an extraordinarily beautiful and complex ecosystem.

After this experience Ruth commented on the deep silence we experienced while we were out there. It is true that there is virtually no sound other than one's own breathing. It goes beyond the absence of sound though, to the silence of spirit in what feels like another world, one which is vast and intricate.

During the week I mused about this week's scripture readings which feature the prophet Elijah. I read through the portion of 1 Kings which tell his story and it includes his wilderness experience where he encounters "the sound of sheer silence" (New Revised Standard Version) or the "still small voice" of God (King James Version.) We entered into that sound of sheer silence in the watery wilderness, and it was holy.

Are there any snorkelers out there? What about your experiences of profound silence? Are these holy moments when you know God is present?

2 comments:

roger said...

Welcome back, and yes, you picked the right week to be away!

Although I haven't done a lot of it, I love snorkelling. One of the most memorable times was in Hawaii about a mile or two out from the coast(no I didn't swim all that way). I remember seeing a large fish literally stopped in its tracks, seemingly watching me. Or maybe it was sizing me up as prey! It was surreal, and you remember that there are countless creatures that call this home. We really need to protect our oceans, lakes and rivers.

With all this snow, I finally was able to use my new cross country skis. The beauty and peacefulness of the Ganaraska Forest was wonderful. I felt like I was the only one out there. I would stop several times and just listen to the trees creaking or the wind blowing. I loved it.

The next day, my wife went with me, and I enjoyed the time we spent together, although the silence was replaced with the odd curse when she fell!

David Mundy said...

I suppose if you do a face plant into a snow drift that could count as underwater solitude. The swearing would be muffled and the snow would melt eventually.

We have enjoyed the quiet of cross-country skiing ourselves Roger. In Northern Ontario we were often very alone and well away from intrusive sounds -- good example.